Close Menu
Sports Review News
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hocky
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Tennis
  • More Articles

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Trending

Fans Blast David Benavidez For Easy Cieślak Defense Over Jai Opetaia

August 17, 2026

It’s been 1 year since Vladimir Guerrero Jr.’s last regular-season homer in Toronto: Inside the power problem facing a Blue Jays star

August 17, 2026

Za’Darius Smith free agency update: Could spurn Browns for former coach

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Sports Review News
SUBSCRIBE
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hocky
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Tennis
  • More Articles
Sports Review News
Home»Boxing»Fans Blast David Benavidez For Easy Cieślak Defense Over Jai Opetaia
Boxing

Fans Blast David Benavidez For Easy Cieślak Defense Over Jai Opetaia

News RoomBy News RoomAugust 17, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
Fans Blast David Benavidez For Easy Cieślak Defense Over Jai Opetaia

Follow Boxing News 24 on Google News

The backlash carries extra force because Benavidez previously pushed the Opetaia fight several years down the line. Abraham Gonzalez named December 12 for the Cieślak bout and said discussions continue for Benavidez to meet the winner of Opetaia’s September 12 clash with Noel Mikaelian.

Before stopping Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez in May, Benavidez told Ariel Helwani that he and Opetaia had the basic pieces in place for a meeting. He then stated that the fight had been delayed by “one or two years.”

Benavidez gave an even longer timetable in April after Opetaia was stripped of the IBF title:

“That ship has kinda sailed now that Opetaia doesn’t have the [IBF belt], because what are we gonna fight for, the Zuffa belt? I think the thing that happened with Opetaia. It pushed that fight back longer than it has to be. We were probably thinking [it would happen] in a year. Now we’re probably thinking two, three years,” said Benavidez to The Ring.

Those remarks produced the ducking accusations following Benavidez today. Losing the IBF belt outside the ring did not make Opetaia a lesser fighter. Fans still view the Australian southpaw as the most dangerous cruiserweight in boxing.

Benavidez’s interest in alphabet titles also failed to convince his critics. He is willing to pursue Cieślak, who has never won a full world championship, while pushing the marquee matchup years into the distance.

Cieślak is the WBC interim champion and owns 22 knockouts, but the 37-year-old Polish contender came up short in both of his previous world title attempts. Ilunga Makabu defeated him on points in 2020, and Lawrence Okolie also beat him on the scorecards two years later.

Benavidez owns the WBA and WBO belts after his sixth-round stoppage of Ramirez. Defeating Cieślak adds another credible contender to his record without settling the cruiserweight hierarchy.

Opetaia is the man Benavidez must beat to gain full recognition as the division’s premier fighter. Mikaelian can alter that discussion with an upset on September 12, though Opetaia enters as a massive favorite.

The proposed fight with the Opetaia-Mikaelian winner gives Benavidez an opportunity to quiet the criticism. Fans have heard similar promises before, and they will want signed contracts before believing the fight is real.

Cieślak presents a credible title defense, but Opetaia represents true divisional supremacy.

Robert Segal is a boxing journalist at Boxing News 24 with more than a decade of experience covering fight news, previews, and analysis. Known for his straightforward reporting and ringside perspective, he delivers authoritative coverage of champions, contenders, and emerging talent worldwide.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Reddit Email
Previous ArticleIt’s been 1 year since Vladimir Guerrero Jr.’s last regular-season homer in Toronto: Inside the power problem facing a Blue Jays star

Related Posts

Vergil Ortiz Jr. Escapes 154 Gridlock With November Middleweight Return

August 17, 2026

Hearn Slows Diego Pacheco Down After Sadjo Scare

August 17, 2026

Queensberry Gambles Moses Jolly’s Future Against Guido Vianello

August 17, 2026

Odel Kamara Signs With Matchroom: Speed Alone Cannot Hide Costly Habits

August 17, 2026

Rolly Romero Can Break Mentally Fragile Teofimo Lopez

August 17, 2026

Claressa Shields Stops Scott In the Sixth, Is Lauren Price Next?

August 17, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Don't Miss

Fans Blast David Benavidez For Easy Cieślak Defense Over Jai Opetaia

By News RoomAugust 17, 2026

The backlash carries extra force because Benavidez previously pushed the Opetaia fight several years down…

It’s been 1 year since Vladimir Guerrero Jr.’s last regular-season homer in Toronto: Inside the power problem facing a Blue Jays star

August 17, 2026

Za’Darius Smith free agency update: Could spurn Browns for former coach

August 17, 2026

MLB Power Rankings: Brewers make statement against Dodgers, Joshua Báez is here

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
© 2026 Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.