Close Menu
Sports Review News
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hocky
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Motorsport
  • Tennis

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Trending

Arsenal agree Piero Hincapie deal with Bayer Leverkusen star set to travel to London ahead of loan transfer

August 30, 2025

Jonah Tong to make another start as Mets transition to six-man rotation for now

August 30, 2025

Ryan Garcia Calls Out Teofimo Lopez, Dismissing Shakur Stevenson’s Claim to the Fight

August 30, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Sports Review News
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hocky
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Motorsport
  • Tennis
Sports Review News
Home»Motorsport»Wolff reviews Mercedes’ “maximum pressure” approach to Antonelli in F1 debut year
Motorsport

Wolff reviews Mercedes’ “maximum pressure” approach to Antonelli in F1 debut year

News RoomBy News RoomAugust 30, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
Wolff reviews Mercedes’ “maximum pressure” approach to Antonelli in F1 debut year

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has conceded that the team has put Andrea Kimi Antonelli “under maximum pressure” in his debut Formula 1 season – but says the 19-year-old remains a long-term hire.

Antonelli has enjoyed the highs of a maiden podium and a sprint race pole in 2025, but has endured some more difficult moments; since his podium in Montreal, he has scored just one point.

Some of that misfortune has been down to unreliability in his Mercedes W16, but he also was the master of his own misfortune with a Monaco qualifying shunt, the collision with Max Verstappen at the start of the Austrian Grand Prix, and difficult qualifying sessions of late.

Antonelli had also come unstuck in FP1 at the Dutch GP, beaching his car after understeering into the gravel at Turn 9.

Wolff reflected on the path that Mercedes had put Antonelli on to reach F1, and admitted that it might have been a mistake to thrust him into the limelight with his Monza FP1 session last year – in which he infamously crashed on his second flying lap.

“I think we have put Kimi under maximum pressure, to be honest,” said Wolff, whose driver replaced seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton. “Looking at it now, I felt it was a great idea to have him in FP1 in Monza and present him there – that was maybe a mistake.

Andrea Kimi Antonelli at Monza, 2024

Photo by: Zak Mauger / Motorsport Images

“Not because he wasn’t capable of driving the car, but because if he would have finished that lap without crashing it would have been sensational and it would have built the confidence and that’s why.

“He’s in a Mercedes, he’s very visible, his results are very visible, his team-mate is great and he’s maximising the car – and therefore you know he feels himself under the magnifying glass.”

Wolff added that Mercedes will continue to invest in Antonelli’s future; he is expected to remain at the team in 2026, as the Silver Arrows sorts out contracts with he and team-mate George Russell.

The Austrian added that individual sessions aren’t going to change Mercedes’ opinion on backing Antonelli.

“The team will just continue to believe in him,” said Wolff. “He needs the time; we’ve embarked on this route. You can say ‘well, was it right to put him under so much pressure by putting him in the team?’

“We’ve taken that trajectory, we’ve taken that route, and we are fully on the mission. Single race weekends or a session like we had before, it’s not going to change our opinion.

“Short term, we’re going to say that [certain results are] not good – but Kimi is a long-term investment.”

Also noting that reserve driver Valtteri Bottas will need replacing as the Finn agreed to a Cadillac deal for 2026, Wolff said that the team “‘haven’t figured it out yet. It’s super difficult to replace Valtteri – he ticks all the boxes.”

Read Also:

In this article

Be the first to know and subscribe for real-time news email updates on these topics

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Reddit Email
Previous ArticleRuben Amorim ‘could be offered Man Utd escape route by former club’ with president hopeful of luring him back
Next Article SEE IT: Mets' Jonah Tong tosses six-pitch first inning in MLB debut

Related Posts

Failed Aston Martin F1 upgrades “should never have happened”

August 30, 2025

Ecclestone, Horner and Briatore at Alpine F1 would be like ‘mafia reunion’, says Wolff

August 30, 2025

Wolff explains his spicy stance on “fake news”

August 29, 2025

Fourmaux puncture hands Rovanpera Rally Paraguay lead

August 29, 2025

How Wolff sees Mercedes’ future chances of signing Verstappen

August 29, 2025

Fourmaux leads while puncture costs title hopeful Ogier

August 29, 2025
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Don't Miss

Arsenal agree Piero Hincapie deal with Bayer Leverkusen star set to travel to London ahead of loan transfer

By News RoomAugust 30, 2025

ARSENAL have reached an agreement with Bayer Leverkusen to sign defender Piero Hincapie.The Gunners are…

Jonah Tong to make another start as Mets transition to six-man rotation for now

August 30, 2025

Ryan Garcia Calls Out Teofimo Lopez, Dismissing Shakur Stevenson’s Claim to the Fight

August 30, 2025

Ruben Amorim doesn’t know if he’ll still be Man Utd boss next week – but admits he has no plans to quit

August 30, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
© 2025 Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.