Americas GP winner and runner-up Francesco Bagnaia and Alex Marquez have called for more clarity on the rules surrounding late bike swaps ahead of a warm-up lap, following the chaotic scenes ahead of Sunday’s race.
While both riders profited from the decision to red-flag the race when they and several other competitors dashed from the grid to switch from ‘wet’ to ‘dry’ bikes, they nonetheless questioned the fairness of the delay to the start.
The pair said they understood the frustration that went with the decision, particularly for the three riders who had already committed to starting on slicks – a gamble that would have paid off handsomely had the likes of Bagnaia and Marquez faced some kind of penalty for leaving the grid.
While there is a rule stating that a full restart will happen if more than 10 riders leave the grid – a rule Marc Marquez was fully aware of when he triggered the mass exodus from the startline – that rule did not apply because only 10 departed the startline.
MotoGP race director Mike Webb confirmed after the race that the red flag was flown on safety grounds.
“We called for a delay and then a quick start procedure due to safety concerns,” said Webb. “Given the number of riders, bikes and pit staff on the grid and in the pitlane area, it was impossible to start the warm-up lap. A new race start was the safest way to respond to the unprecedented circumstances at the start of the grand prix.
“We will analyse the situation together with the teams and revisit the regulations.”
Trackhouse Racing team principal Davide Brivio will be among those likely to share strong opinions if consulted in that process. His rider, Ai Ogura, was one of the three to have remained on the grid at the appointed time, and on the correct tyres – as well as KTM riders Brad Binder and Enea Bastianini.
Ai Ogura, Trackhouse Racing
Photo by: Gold and Goose / Motorsport Images
“We took a risk, we took a gamble, we made the right decision,” said an incensed Brivio moments after the red flag flew. “Then when it was time to start, they stopped everything because of some riders.
“The riders who left the grid made their own choice. Why didn’t they allow us to start with the right choice? Now everything is gone. We took a gamble, we made the right decision and now everything is [gone].
“I’m very upset. That’s not the way to manage a start.”
MotoGP title contenders weigh in
This was a perspective Alex Marquez acknowledged after the race: “It was chaos for everybody. We need a clear rule for that [situation] because it’s not really clear. I didn’t even know… I just followed the guys from the grid!
“If they delayed the start just because of the chaos, it’s not the correct way. If it’s in the rules that you can [leave the grid]… then they need to organise things better to be able to do it. Because it’s not fair that somebody can take the risk and then they delay the start.
“Imagine that I was on the grid with slicks. It wouldn’t be fair. Everything needs to be more clear on [how it is done].”

Francesco Bagnaia, Ducati Team
Photo by: Gold and Goose / Motorsport Images
Bagnaia, who won the race, shared Marquez’s opinion: “I can imagine the situation of the guys who were ready on the grid with slick tyres. They can be a lot angrier about what happened.
“This particular situation is not clear in the regulations.”
In this article
Richard Asher
MotoGP
Brad Binder
Enea Bastianini
Ai Ogura
Trackhouse Racing Team
Be the first to know and subscribe for real-time news email updates on these topics
Subscribe to news alerts
Read the full article here