Close Menu
Sports Review News
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hocky
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Tennis
  • More Articles

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Trending

Paul Skenes’ season started early. Is it starting to show?

August 19, 2026

2027 NBA mock draft: AI ranks the top 30 prospects

August 19, 2026

Pre-start procedure set to remain for F1 2027

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Sports Review News
SUBSCRIBE
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hocky
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Tennis
  • More Articles
Sports Review News
Home»Motorsport»Pre-start procedure set to remain for F1 2027
Motorsport

Pre-start procedure set to remain for F1 2027

News RoomBy News RoomAugust 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
Pre-start procedure set to remain for F1 2027

After the practice starts during winter testing in Bahrain proved rather problematic for several Formula 1 outfits, the issue quickly sparked a political debate in the paddock.

Many teams wanted more time during the starting procedure to spool their turbochargers and build up the revs, but Ferrari was not keen on that idea as its smaller turbo gave the Scuderia a competitive advantage off the line.

The eventual compromise was the so-called pre-start procedure, a five-second warning with blue flashing lights on the grid once all cars have lined up following the formation lap.

After its introduction, Fred Vasseur made it clear that this was also the maximum Ferrari was willing to accept, saying “enough is enough”.

The biggest safety concerns surrounding the start have since been addressed, although FIA single-seater director Nikolas Tombazis believes the pre-start procedure will remain in place for the 2027 F1 season.

“I think the five seconds are an established process now, I don’t see why it would change in this regulation cycle,” Tombazis told a select group of media, including Autosport.

Thanks to the smaller turbo, Ferrari had an advantage off the line earlier this year; the extra five seconds was the maximum Vasseur was prepared to accept

Photo by: Alex Bierens de Haan / Getty Images

“That does not have to do with safety. It has just to do with having different cars arriving on the grid at different times, and drivers need to be able to prepare in order to have, let’s say, a proper start.

“I don’t think it’s so much a safety topic. The electrical part is more of a safety topic.”

With those final words, Tombazis was referring to a safety net the FIA has created to prevent a repeat of what happened during the season opener in Melbourne.


There, Liam Lawson got away from his grid slot extremely slowly, with Franco Colapinto only narrowly – and miraculously – managing to avoid him. According to Tombazis, the FIA learned from that incident.

“Well, first of all, we have worked on start line safety,” he said. “From when we discussed the Miami package in late April until now, we’ve been working on some emergency recovery, so electrical parts to help recover a car that has a very slow start and therefore not to risk cars stalling, etc.”

Tombazis was referring to the so-called “low power start detection” system, which detects when a car accelerates unusually slowly after the driver releases the clutch.

In Melbourne, Colapinto only just managed to avoid Lawson. Since then, safety has improved, according to the FIA

In Melbourne, Colapinto only just managed to avoid Lawson. Since then, safety has improved, according to the FIA

Photo by: Simon Galloway / LAT Images via Getty Images

In such cases, an automatic MGU-K deployment is triggered to ensure a minimum level of acceleration, according to the FIA.

Tombazis has previously made clear that this system certainly does not provide drivers with a competitive advantage. When the system is activated, it merely prevents a dangerous scenario such as the one involving Lawson in Melbourne.

The automatic MGU-K deployment can turn a disastrous start into a bad one, but according to Tombazis it cannot turn a bad start into a competitive one.

This system has addressed the biggest safety concerns, but despite that, the FIA sees no reason to scrap the pre-start procedure for next year.

Read Also:

We want to hear from you!

Let us know what you would like to see from us in the future.

Take our survey

– The Autosport.com Team

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Reddit Email
Previous ArticleTewkesbury Park awarded Top 100 European luxury golf resort
Next Article 2027 NBA mock draft: AI ranks the top 30 prospects

Related Posts

Plato departs troubled BTCC team

August 19, 2026

Hadjar could miss F1 Dutch GP with Red Bull replacement plan already in place

August 19, 2026

Christian Horner to headline 2026 ABX NYC

August 18, 2026

No nine to five cruise

August 18, 2026

Red Bull protege Kalousdian dominates Snetterton Ginetta Junior event

August 18, 2026

Lappi returns to Hyundai line-up for WRC Rally Chile

August 18, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Don't Miss

Paul Skenes’ season started early. Is it starting to show?

By News RoomAugust 19, 2026

Paul Skenes pitches Wednesday night at PNC Park on seven days’ rest and the industry…

2027 NBA mock draft: AI ranks the top 30 prospects

August 19, 2026

Pre-start procedure set to remain for F1 2027

August 19, 2026

Tewkesbury Park awarded Top 100 European luxury golf resort

August 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
© 2026 Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.