Close Menu
Sports Review News
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hocky
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Motorsport
  • Tennis

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Trending

Red Sox reportedly calling up top pitching prospect Payton Tolle to debut vs. Pirates

August 29, 2025

FIA promises WRC investment following commercial rights sale 

August 29, 2025

Liverpool set to make £130MILLION British record transfer bid for Isak as Toon replacement Woltemade lands in Newcastle

August 29, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Sports Review News
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hocky
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Motorsport
  • Tennis
Sports Review News
Home»Boxing»Jermell Charlo’s Return to the Ring: A Fading Star’s Last Attempt to Cash in, Mora Claims
Boxing

Jermell Charlo’s Return to the Ring: A Fading Star’s Last Attempt to Cash in, Mora Claims

News RoomBy News RoomAugust 29, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
Jermell Charlo’s Return to the Ring: A Fading Star’s Last Attempt to Cash in, Mora Claims

Commentator Sergio Mora states that it’s a shame that the 35-year-old Jermell Charlo finally wants to take his career seriously after two years out of the ring.

A Champion’s Two Lost Years

Mora says the former undisputed junior middleweight champion Charlo’s fan base has drifted away, and he’s lost two of his best years by not fighting. Sergio believes Jermell’s rationale for returning is for the money.

Calling Out the Wrong Fighters

  • Sebastian Fundora
  • Terence Crawford
  • Vergil Ortiz Jr.
  • Jaron ‘Boots’ Ennis
  • Errol Spence

Even when he was still active, he would have had huge problems against the guys he’s called out this week. Jermell (35-2-1, 19 KOs) lost to Tony Harrison and was held to a draw against Brian Castano in their first fight.

The Canelo Payday Effect

“Jermell Charlo. He’s in his mid-30s and finally wants to take his career seriously and come back. It’s a shame because he had so much that he could have given to boxing. This man fought Canelo and hasn’t fought since,” said Sergio Mora to DAZN, talking about former undisputed junior middleweight champion Jermell Charlo.

Jermell still held three of his four 154-lb titles after his loss to Canelo Alvarez on September 30, 2023. He could have defended his IBF, WBA, and WBC junior middleweight titles. Charlo’s decision to stop fighting resulted in those titles being stripped one by one.

“Inactivity has plagued his career. Now, just like other fighters, like Andy Ruiz and Adrien Broner,” said Mora. “They want to come back in their mid-30s, and people forgot about them. Their heyday is gone. Their shine is off.”

The success that Jermell had before he stopped fighting will be difficult to replicate at 35. He’s gotten older, and the fighters that are competing now are arguably more talented than his main competition during his active years at 154.

When Jermell stopped fighting, these were his main competitors at 154:

  • Tony Harrison
  • Jeison Rosario
  • Tim Tszyu
  • Brian Castano

It was only after Jermell fought Canelo Alvarez on September 30, 2023, that he became inactive. He was paid well for that fight, and it’s understandable why he hasn’t returned to the ring.

Mora left out Keith Thurman. He’s another fighter who had been out of the ring for years and recently came back. Now, he’s getting a title shot against WBC junior middleweight champion Sebastian Fundora on October 25 after one tune-up against a lower-level fighter, Brock Jarvis.

Why Charlo Lost His Fans

“Yes, they still have a name. Yes, they’re former champions, but they lost their fanbase because of that inactivity because they didn’t take their career serious. And they made a lot of money. And when you make a lot of money, you get comfortable,” said Mora about Jermell.

Charlo wasn’t a big star when he was still fighting. He had a following, but he wasn’t a big pay-per-view attraction. As Mora points out, the fans that Jermell had given lost interest in him, and are focused on other fighters if they’re still following the sport.

Jermell can get a nice payday if he fights Errol Spence or Sebastian Fundora. Those are fights that can happen. His chances of beating Fundora would be low, and the fight would be ridiculed. The only way fans would criticize the fight is if Jermell beat three or four top contenders at 154 to prove himself. Just jumping straight into a title shot after two years out of the ring would make it obvious that Charlo’s purpose for coming back is money.

The Money-Driven Comeback

“So, I think that Canelo payday made him [Jermell] soft. The hunger is gone, but just like every fighter, once that money starts dwindling and running away, and the need to come back, you’re coming back for the wrong reasons,” said Mora. “You’re coming back to get paid the money. That’s when you get hurt, and that’s when you look bad. And your fans, you’re not fooling them,” said Mora.

What Sergio says about Jermell’s likely rationale is what many boxing fans are saying on social media. They believe Charlo, 35, is coming back for the money, as he’s been inactive for two years. The fighters that Jermell called out on social media are mostly guys who would be far too young and active for him to fight.

Boxing News 24 » Jermell Charlo’s Return to the Ring: A Fading Star’s Last Attempt to Cash in, Mora Claims

Last Updated on 08/29/2025

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Reddit Email
Previous ArticleArsenal transfer news LIVE: Gunners LOCKED in Hincapie negotiation, Palace in Nelson talks, Havertz injury UPDATE
Next Article Rays star Junior Caminero, still just 22 years old, already has home run history in his sights: ‘Sky’s the limit for the kid’

Related Posts

The Age Factor: How Canelo’s Decline and Crawford’s Aging Could Impact a Blockbuster Matchup

August 29, 2025

Shakur’s Saudi Alliance: How a Superfight with Teofimo Lopez is Finally Coming Together

August 29, 2025

Can History Repeat? The Sugar Ray Leonard-Marvin Hagler Comparison and Why It Might Not Apply to Crawford vs. Canelo

August 28, 2025

O’Shaquie Foster vs. Stephen Fulton Joins Fundora – Thurman on October 25 in Las Vegas

August 28, 2025

Is Jaron ‘Boots’ Ennis a World Champion or Just a Sparring Partner? Tim Bradley Blasts Star Fighter’s Lack of “Balls”

August 28, 2025

Teofimo Lopez Teases a Fight Against Shakur Stevenson, Mocks Him with Old Olympic Photo

August 28, 2025
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Don't Miss

Red Sox reportedly calling up top pitching prospect Payton Tolle to debut vs. Pirates

By News RoomAugust 29, 2025

The Boston Red Sox are calling up top pitching prospect Payton Tolle to start Friday’s…

FIA promises WRC investment following commercial rights sale 

August 29, 2025

Liverpool set to make £130MILLION British record transfer bid for Isak as Toon replacement Woltemade lands in Newcastle

August 29, 2025

Former Angels slugger Mark Teixeira announces congressional campaign in Texas

August 29, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
© 2025 Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.