Close Menu
Sports Review News
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hocky
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Motorsport
  • Tennis

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Trending

Wayne Rooney warns ‘there’s something broken’ at Man Utd as Ruben Amorim prepares for showdown talks

August 29, 2025

Diamondbacks at Dodgers Prediction: Odds, expert picks, starting pitchers, trends, and stats for August 29

August 29, 2025

Norris tops McLaren 1-2 in FP1 as Antonelli causes red flag

August 29, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Sports Review News
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Hocky
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Motorsport
  • Tennis
Sports Review News
Home»Motorsport»FIA promises WRC investment following commercial rights sale 
Motorsport

FIA promises WRC investment following commercial rights sale 

News RoomBy News RoomAugust 29, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
FIA promises WRC investment following commercial rights sale 

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem has promised an investment into the World Rally Championship following the sale of the series’ commercial rights. 

The world motorsport governing body announced last week that a tender process is now underway to find a new WRC commercial rights holder.

Current rights holder WRC Promoter, owned by Red Bull and German investment company KW25, has been gearing up for a sale for more than a year, with seven years remaining on its current commercial rights contract. 

Autosport understands that several potential suitors from Europe, America and the Middle East have declared interest in purchasing the WRC Promoter. A number of interested parties have attended events this year. 

Making a visit to this weekend’s inaugural WRC round in Paraguay, Ben Sulayem confirmed that an all-new commercial rights contract will be drawn up between the FIA and the new promoter that could extend to 25 years.

Ben Sulayem also confirmed that funds generated by the sale of the WRC’s commercial rights for the FIA will be directly invested back into the championship.

“I said to the [current] promoter every year that passes, your product is worth less, it is simple,” said Ben Sulayem, who has been FIA president since 2021.

Kalle Rovanperä, Jonne Halttunen, Toyota Gazoo Racing WRT Toyota GR Yaris Rally1

Photo by: Toyota Racing

“A year and half ago there was eight and half years [remaining on the contract] and now it is less than seven and a half. You really think you can sell this product with seven? No, you can only have a good product with years to sell. 

“The WRC is a good product but without the backing of how many years, you don’t have very much to sell. To inject 18 years for them [on the contract] we [the FIA] need something more tangible. 

“The FIA was never part of the future with the promoter, now things have changed, the WRC and every promoter contract will be fair and more balanced towards the FIA and not just towards the promoter. We support the promoter, don’t get me wrong.

“Money is not what the FIA wants, it wants sustainability of the business. To me when this thing [sale] is going to happen, I can promise you now there will be an injection from the money that we get back into the championship.”

Ben Sulayem to meet with manufacturers to grow the WRC

The commercial rights sale process arrives at a time when the WRC is gearing up for a seismic shift in technical regulations for 2027, designed to be more affordable with cars built to the €345,000 cost cap in the hope of attracting more manufacturers and teams.

Since Citroen left the championship at the end of 2019, the WRC’s top class has been operating with factory teams from Toyota and Hyundai, while Ford has been represented by M-Sport. 

Sébastien Ogier, Julien Ingrassia, Citroën World Rally Team Citroen C3 WRC

Sébastien Ogier, Julien Ingrassia, Citroën World Rally Team Citroen C3 WRC

Photo by: McKlein / Motorsport Images

At the moment, Toyota is the only marque from the current group known to be working on a project for 2027. Hyundai has made its reservations clear over the lack of flexibility in technology for the new 2027 cars that will be powered initially by a traditional internal combustion engine. 

Ben Sulayem is confident the 2027 regulations is the right step to grow the championship, but admits it will take time. He hinted that there is positive news on the horizon and he is continuing to meet with manufacturers to discuss the future.

“We want to make a fresh start,” the Emirati said. “The regulations [2027] are better when it comes to accessibility. The car costs are 60% less. What we want to see is the sustainability of the championship and that comes with affordability and bringing more teams. We need steady regulations that can go for many years. 

“Are we making the right step? Yes. When will we achieve it? It will take time.”

When asked if there was any good news regarding manufacturer participation in 2027, he added: “I cannot reveal as I have meetings with the manufacturers.

“I’m talking with the top people, with all the respect to the team principals. I’m supposed to have a meeting with Ford talking with the president Jim Farley and Malcolm [Wilson, FIA deputy president] is supporting.

Malcolm Wilson

Malcolm Wilson

Photo by: M-Sport

“With Toyota, I will be having a meeting with Mr Akio Toyoda and then I’m hoping to have a meeting of course with Cyril [Abiteboul team principal at Hyundai], but I will go [to see upper management]. If it means I need to go to Korea, I will go.

“Are we talking to Skoda? Yes. Lancia, yes, Citroen yes, but why would they come? There has to be a reason – sustainable technical regulation.

“If we want to attract them we have to have something serious. We need to make sure it appeals to them and the investment is there, and I am confident.”

Read Also:

In this article

Be the first to know and subscribe for real-time news email updates on these topics

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Reddit Email
Previous ArticleLiverpool set to make £130MILLION British record transfer bid for Isak as Toon replacement Woltemade lands in Newcastle
Next Article Red Sox reportedly calling up top pitching prospect Payton Tolle to debut vs. Pirates

Related Posts

Norris tops McLaren 1-2 in FP1 as Antonelli causes red flag

August 29, 2025

Russell confident Mercedes will have the best F1 2026 engine

August 29, 2025

“Jenson couldn’t do” what Fernando did

August 29, 2025

McLaren will keep driver strategy options open after Hungary F1 split

August 29, 2025

Will 2026 F1 cars really reach 400km/h?

August 29, 2025

How Aston Martin’s F1 team plans to become a “creative, chaotic innovation machine”

August 28, 2025
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Don't Miss

Wayne Rooney warns ‘there’s something broken’ at Man Utd as Ruben Amorim prepares for showdown talks

By News RoomAugust 29, 2025

WAYNE ROONEY believes Manchester United boss Ruben Amorim is at “breaking point” following his side’s…

Diamondbacks at Dodgers Prediction: Odds, expert picks, starting pitchers, trends, and stats for August 29

August 29, 2025

Norris tops McLaren 1-2 in FP1 as Antonelli causes red flag

August 29, 2025

Coco Gauff breaks down in tears after another US Open battle and thanks ‘inspiration’ Simone Biles in on-court interview

August 29, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
© 2025 Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.